Saturday, January 11, 2014

Losing Weight...and My Engagement Ring!

I have been married for almost 29 years, and I haven't been able to wear my wedding band or engagement ring for at least half of those years.  I even had it stretched once.  

A few years after having my rings stretched, and being the stubborn person that I am, I decided I was going to wear the wedding set even if it was too tight.  I would not get those rings stretched again!  That was ultimately a bad decision on my part. :)  I ended up at the jewelry store, my finger swollen and purple,  having my engagement ring cut off my finger.  

On November 6, 2013, when I began drinking Plexus Slim, I couldn't get my wedding band or engagement ring on without forcing them.  Let it be said that I can learn from my mistakes.  I wasn't about to wear them when it hurt to put them on.

About mid-December I tried the wedding set on for fun.  I had lost several pounds and I was hoping they would fit on my finger.  They did!  They went on without any force, and better yet, they came off the same way!  I was so proud!  I began them wearing immediately.  It was a milestone in my weight loss to be able to wear my rings again.  

The next few weeks as I lost more weight, my engagement ring became so loose that the diamond in the the setting would end up turning and facing the palm of my hand. Another good feeling.  

Well...yesterday when I got home from work I noticed that my engagement ring was not on my finger.  The band was still there but, not the engagement ring.  Of course, I panicked.  After all those years of not being able to wear my rings and now I had lost my engagement ring!  

I began retracing my steps...from putting my teaching bag down, to the garage where I had played with my dog, Max, when I first arrived home, to the mailbox, to my parking place at my school, along the path to my room, and finally to the sink where I had washed my hands right before I left to go home. 

My husband and I just stood silently at the counter, looking down at the left-over soap suds in the bottom of the sink and humongous holes in the drain.  My heart sank.  I rushed over to my desk.  Sometimes when I put lotion on my hands, I take my rings off and lay them on the top of my desk.  Nope.  I knew in the back of my mind heading over  there that the engagement ring would not be found.  Why would I, even as absent-minded as I am sometimes, put one ring back on and not the other.

I was priming myself up for a good pity-party.  I was ready to sit down behind my desk when I noticed my husband reach down underneath a student desk and pick something up from underneath the leg bar of the desk.  The leg bar is a metal bar that sits about an inch from the floor and balances the legs of the desk.
As he stood up, he was holding my engagement ring in his hand.  

Apparently, my ring slipped had off sometime after my students left yesterday, and I didn't even feel it.  That's scary.  It just slid right off my finger and I didn't feel a thing!  I believe I have learned 2 things from the experience.  1.  If I want to wear my ring, I will either have to get it resized, get a ring spacer, or wear it below my wedding band.  2.  If my rings are too big, my clothes must be too big.  You all know what that means! :)  :)  :)  I have always wanted the problem of having to go shopping because my clothes are too big.  I have lost 12 and 1/2 pounds on this 4 foot, 11 and 1/2 inch body since November 6, and my clothes ARE getting too big.  It's a great feeling!  

There is a saying, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."  For me, nothing feels as good as knowing that even though I am losing weight now, I will be able to continue to lose it, next month, and the next month after that...  For way too long, when I began a "diet" or took pills, over-the-counter or prescription, I knew they were a temporary fix.  Now I am doing something that I will continue doing for the rest of my life as I continue to improve my health.  You just can't beat that! 
As I have said before, it is the easiest thing I have ever done!  





1 comment:

  1. You must have had mixed feelings about this. The almost-loss of your engagement ring is the bittersweet proof of your fitness’s milestone. Well, you could always resize the ring, now that you found it. As for your fitness achievement, I’m really happy for your excellent progress. Keep it going!

    Ricky Rowe @ Finding Jewelry Experts

    ReplyDelete